A spectre is haunting the US and Europe—the spectre of the alt-right. All the powers of old media have entered into holy alliance to exorcise this spectre. But the vanguard of a zeitgeist shift rightward a decade in the making is all it is, and when they march over a cliff George Soros’ll be there to clean up the splatter. Although the overall zeitgeist shift is broad and variegated—including Andrew Breitbart, Ron Paul, Alex Jones, James Howard Kunstler, Stefan Molyneux—the alt-right itself is limited to a small, mutually-supportive network of webzines and podcasts that espouse an unapologetically fascist worldview: Counter Currents, Red Ice TV, Alternative Right, Radix Journal, The Right Stuff and The Occidental Observer. It represents the first stirring of unadulterated reaction since the inter-war period, and at present is the only coherent, comprehensive rejection since the sixties of the established order which, nearly everyone agrees, is rotten. There should be other alternatives, so to speak, but the appeal of corralling thought never seems to go out of style.
So the alt-right is a hot ticket in an era when the novelty has worn off of everything—an era of sexuality unbound to the point of lethargy, when old men pass for youth impresarios and venerable news networks are no better than the basement barkers they’re competing against; an era when Hollywood devours every last comic book and historical footnote for lack of fresh ideas and
the vast fatigue…experienced by a generation on which the multitudes of…innovations burst abruptly, imposes on it organic exigencies greatly surpassing its strength. (Max Nordau, Degeneration)
Everyone to the right of Glenn Beck in the media wants to cash in on the alt-right label without really committing to, or being tarred by it. Everyone left of Glenn Beck in the media wants to tar everyone right of him with it, without in the process ceding it any power. And the small constellation of bloggers, podcasters and e-book hustlers who make up the original, core alt-right want to leverage all the attention they’re getting to gain power, without having their style cramped by sundry fair-weather fellow travelers, or their lives destroyed by big media witch hunters.
In other words, there’s a lot of cake here that isn’t getting eaten, but is stuck in teeth.
This blog you’re reading is a drop in the bucket of this rightward zeitgeist shift. I’ve been following the alt-right with tenuous enthusiasm since 2010.
Here is where I condone the alt-right:
(1) TS Eliot once said the apex of civilization was 13th century western Europe. Those people didn’t even have penicillin. But maybe Eliot understood something profound about the trajectory of western civilization. Yet today its primary heirs—white people—are the single most maligned, targeted and psychologically disarmed race on the planet, nearly every European capital is brimming with hostile brown vultures. Many whites are not yet able to grasp the grave implications of these developments. In the 1970s, Joe Strummer “went to a place where every white face is an invitation to robbery.” In the 2010s, that place comes to you.
My family and I are regarded, maligned and targeted as white regardless of my being half-Jewish, and if my kids buy too much into the kumbaya MLK dream they’re being sold in school and in the movies and on TV, they’re gonna wind up reliving all the rude awakenings that I went through, many of which were terrifyingly violent.
(2) Physical threats are bad enough, but as I just said, my kids are being told in school that they have to like it, and education, like any other outlet for public discourse in the postwar west, is a consensus environment subject to peculiar ideological controls. So I’ll take what rebellion I can get, but the most thoroughly quarantined and verboten body of ideas in this environment are far-right.
Yet a resurrection of fascism is symptomatic of the very malaise it arises against. While a certain dose of anti-semitism results from plain lucidity, beyond that point, it’s a mind-narrowing victimology. I grew up in a whiteboy skaterpunk milieu, mostly latchkey trailer types, wiggers and rockerbetties with a tenuously college-bound, congenitally functional upper crust. This is who’s inclined toward the alt-right, and I can tell you they aren’t much different from the brothas in that, if you tell ’em a minimally erudite sounding, lurid morality tale their oyster brains’ll fashion a pearl out of it that they’ll never give a second thought to. This is how Hitler came to power. It’s also where central casting gets its beloved, inverse-Archie Bunker, the paternalistic white working class liberal, rebels of conventional morality like Ed Schultz, Henry Rollins and Jim Hightower. But while this entire ethnic demographic is highly functional, however their politics breakdown, they aren’t very highly sophisticated.
With that in mind, here is where I don’t support the alt-right:
(1) The alt-right is correct about how import race is. But if society doesn’t break down entirely along racial lines outside of prison gangs it’s precisely because race is such a very low bar to exceed when it comes to building relationships (and nobody likes Illinois Nazis, not even in Brooks Brothers). In-group affinities and out-group hostilities have a material basis, it’s only in a time of hyperabundance that we can be so arrogant as to impute strictly spiritual bases to them, or deny their relevance entirely. But anyone who puts his People on a pedestal the way nationalist activists do will see individuals only as warts, especially when their whole gig depends on max-dissemination.
(2) The new media rebellion they’re conducting has worthy targets and it’s amusing to watch them flail, aghast. But the alt-right is less amusing if you take them at their word. Just look at them: vindictive dweebs, sniping on message boards about namefaggotry, genetic test results, trending hashtags, who’s a plant and who’s more authentic than whom. I can’t stand Antifa, but at least they’re fucking punching.
But who, at this late date, wants onboard another grandiose political programme, anyway? I don’t live by committee, it’s fatiguing—I don’t do Who/Whom?, I have a life, I have a family. Activism (beyond simple banding together for physical self-defense and mutual self-interest at a local level) is puerile and effeminate, that’s why Richard Spencer keeps telling reporters how powerful his ideas are, the benefacted attention whoring he’s busy with requires that he indulge in occasional dick-measuring to feel real. Even Jack Donovan—who’s by far the truest to his ideals of anyone on the alt-right—turns out to be a shameless, powerbottom-grooming little e-hawker of merchandise at the same time he’s denouncing consumerism and globalism and modernity, but at least he’s clear about being out for himself and his little band, as opposed to propounding a global or national-level agenda beyond selling books.
What would a Richard Spencer or a Greg Johnson do as president, as governor or senator or as the Brigham Young of an ethnic canton, anyway? These people are saying that if they had power they would pursue drastic social engineering, population transfer, reeducation. For what, to roll back modernity? Good luck! Decadence is an end-tidal outgrowth of the human craving for novelty, the Serpent, Pandora, Babel, Prometheus, of course it’s a yin and yang but at some point you get Idiocracy, this shit goes in cycles. In any case, far ahead of race or class, the real divide in this world is between the meddlesome and those who mind their own fucking business, which is why I can’t begrudge Antifa their sucker-punching, at least these types are targeting each other. I love Counter-Currents, where else can you read about Carl Jung, Batman and Sven Hedin all in one lunch hour? But Greg Johnson has specific plans for who will get to live in his ideal ethnostate, what a sinister combination of control freak and playing tea-party with dollies. Didn’t surprise me to find out the guy’s a fudge-packer.
Interestingly, Red Ice has lately taken to promoting a kind of Nietzschean technophilia that doesn’t strike me as very different from the New World Order. You definitely can’t call Red Ice (or any other major alt-right outlet) civil libertarian, anyway, because the alt-right is symptomatic of this low, dishonest decade, which is nothing about principles and everything about gaining the whip hand, i.e., ressentiment, intriguing, the public image coup de grace. It’s a Game of Thrones ideology. And, just to make myself clear to the pea-brained pamphleteers and crib notes trawlers of this revitalized fascism: I’m not siding against you, or with your enemies. I’m describing you. That these kinds of disclaimers are useful is also symptomatic of low-caliber times. It didn’t have to be this way, there was a Jeffersonian rusticism underpinning 9/11 Truth and End the Fed. Occupy was the terminal playpen of gutterpunk train-hopping. But the 2010s are all about which side’ll get to orchestrate the show trials, only the choices are the same old Coke/Pepsi duopoly. People are just too goddamned rubbernecking stupid and easily led.
(3) The alt-right is an echo chamber because, by definition, party politics precludes dialecticism—that’s what’s so unhealthy about the organized Jewry. So for example, Kevin MacDonald writes that Jews who sympathize with the alt-right should speak out among their own people, but when some poor schlimazel takes him at his word, he gets raked over the alt-right coals. The genetic determinism MacDonald has propounded is just too absolute.
But if certain manifestations of antisemitism can’t be peremptorily written off as irrational, neither can MacDonald’s theory—that Judaism is a group evolutionary strategy—serve to rationalize all of them, it’s as unfalsifiable as any other politicized soft-science. I mean, if Jewish debauchery of all that’s good and holy predates (say) Jonas Salk, would MacDonald’s acolytes give up the polio vaccine if they could turn back the clock? “Power of ideas,” way to outsource. When Trumpledor said “I still have another arm to give the motherland,” it was a ruse? For what, acceptance? Seems the goyim got the better end of that bargain. (Accuse me of arguing from anecdote and I’ll show you Kevin MacDonald.)
So if yiddishkeit can’t be lived down, ever, well… the alt-right’s not my tree-fort, I’m not gonna beg. I make myself known on a message board as an outsider and they call me an infiltrator, ever heard of privacy settings guys? You all raised the Jewish Question anew, have you come up with any answers? What’s that you say? “Fuck off to Israel or die“? It’s the same schtick as Stewart and Colbert, they expound a dead-serious agenda and then claim it’s all shits and giggles when they get called out. How sad to be peddling an ideology of order, hierarchy and opposition to commercial vulgarity in the .25 cents’ admission imagination-land of new media, only to get mere first world pushback as they traffic in ideologies that really punished thoughtcrime. The lurid, diversionary quality of alt-right discourse a la NPI and TRS has a very short shelf life. Now that they’ve had their fifteen minutes, the leadership will spend the rest of their lives scraping donations, “Remember me? Just ten grand more to meet our goal this season.”
And that’s their business. But I’m no more guilty of Goldman Sachs than Richard Spencer is guilty of the Sand Creek massacre. So bring that message board shit talk in my face physically the way you like to horrify nursing home yentas in the Forward comments section and I’ll beat you to a bloody pulp, same as I would any hostile, pea-brained melanotic.
Like George Zimmer, “I guarantee it.”